25 October 2010

THE LOST IKONS OF THE SOUTH BANK




I was looking for some kind of inspiration in relation to the South Bank. It came to me when I was watching the old documentary films from the Festival of Britain.


The Festival of Britain provided a more extensive opportunity to showcase the collective and individual ‘achievements’ of Britons. Events dealt with history, industry, science, the arts and explored various aspects of cultural and everyday life at mid-century.






I have been in this are many times before and i knew very well all of the present sites and their positions. I was fascinated to have noticed that there were quite amazing structures not existing on the South Bank any more!







So, I have decided to look for the lost Icons of the South Bank and see what happened to them?


Skylon became my favourite. The more I researched it, the more i admired it. I was astonished that other people and architects had already a strong will of recreating the Icon!




So, what have I learned from this research? Do I believe in rebuilding the lost icons? NO! I am really against it! I think that, once something is over it belongs to the past. We have the memory of it, which is beautiful in its own way. I don't believe in recreating things that existed in the past. The new one will never be appreciated for it's own character. It would be a copy or a clone if you like and people will always compare it with the old one.

To sum up, what would I like to take from this experience and research? I would have to say that it would be the feeling of missing something, the lack of it. And so my task is to find out what the South Bank is missing...

To find out more about the lost Icons and the Festival of Britain exhibition follow this link.http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/learning/designingbritain/html/festival.html

No comments:

Post a Comment