01 November 2010

PROJECT UPDATE Week 3







CREATION IS NOT REPEATING WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE


"I am not ready to start designing the space yet. I need more understanding of the subject and more experience of the space."

This week I have been looking at the following subjects in relation to my project:

FILM SET, PRODUCTION DESIGN, ARCHITECTURE, CITIES, PHOTOGRAPHY

STEP 1

I started my work by exploring Pete’s thought from last week on the subject on filmmaking and architecture or space design.


Filmmakers have extraordinary insight into how cities work, what they mean. I looked at the work of some filmmakers and their insight into how cities work on the set. Below is the shortlist of my findings, which I would like to pursue more within my project:

KUBRIC 2001 A Space Odyssey – Set Design

ALFRED HITCHCOCK “Rear Window” (observation of the city life)


JAMES SANDERS “Celluloid Skyline”

Book and Exhibition presented at the Grand Central Station. Telling the story of how New York City was constructed in the movies.



I found the work of this American architect very useful in my understanding of the space role in cinema.

DAVID LYNCH Interview on communicating in film.



STEP 2

STUDY OF THE CITY



Night and day shots of the same spots (photographed from the exact same point of view)

CYCLORAMAS

Images taken from upper floors and roofs to recreate views of the city as they appear through windows or doors of an interior

PEOPLE / SOCIETY / CULTURE/ THE NAKED CITY

I like the idea of following the stories of people. What they do in the space? Where do they come from? I like the theatrical aspects of the city.

LANDSCAPE

I looked at ways of how the city is being affected by other factors. Natural elements: lighting, weather, water sources or urban and architectural elements: different ways of transportation.

STEP 3


PHOTOGRAPHY, LIGHT, SHADOW

I went back to the V&A museum to see the "Shadow Catchers" Exhibition again and I also joined some of the talks and interviews.


I became interested in photogram - the camera-less photography technique

Photography is a way to interact with peoples the things you say outlound and not necessarily what you want to say or feel. Pictures can replace spoken language with its own unique language the aim is to create a channel to interact with people

Conceptualizing shadows.

MY DESIGN GOALS

To catch the excitement, energy and activity of the South Bank.

Crate a space where people have their interaction with photography and relationship with photography

The relationship with photography is different in every country. In London there are tons of photos taken without much of thinking and purpose…and I feel that there is a need of making people more aware of the true beauty of the photography.


To identify the ways in which setting reflects the themes and drama of the place

To show the impact of the light and shadow in the space

To introduce different styles in my design: expressionism, poetic realism and documentary in the representation of the place

To show artistic, cultural and technological influences

The complex interrelationship between the set and the human prese

MY INITIAL IDEAS AND INSPIRATIONS

HUMAN SPACE THOUGHT



My ideas are all in the subject of the exploration of human's mind in relation to the space. I would like to design not only the exhibition but also the space or metaphorically speaking the platform for the performance.
I am very much inspired by the way Kubrick designed his film sets for the Space Odyssey 2001 and would like to work in a similar way with my project.
I am planning to crate my exhibition space as a CAD model and rendeer it in a Artlantis for the 3D realistic effect http://www.artlantis.com/

This year I am in a Film Platform. We are working within the subject of expanded cinema. I also like to use elements of this in my project. My aim would be to both use the idea for the exhibition and then to film it so it can be shown to the public in a cinema theatre. That way I get to design my space without having to worry about the expenses involved in the rent of the space, materials and also it gives larger room for the creativity.
I will film the space and the experience in a way that the viewer would see it and then show it to a large audience so they can achieve the same viewing experience without having to go to the space. It will be a very interactive kind of experience.

RED BLACK WHITE

Recently I have been quite unconsciously surrounding myself with those three colours. Just a few days ago I went to the Shadow Catchers Exhibition at the V&A museum. As I was holding one of their flyers with the exact same colurs on it. I started contemplating on the idea and realized the meaning and importance of the choices I have made and what it really meant to me.

RED - life, strenght, blood, power, intensity (the power of thought)
BLACK- the unknown, dark side of human's mind, things we might fear
WHITE - the infinity, purity, space, air

ME AND MY MIND



My space in a way is reminisent of a bubble. A spiritual space that we create around our bodies without knowing about it. It will be pure, translucent, open...
There will be also contrasting elements of objects and suprise introduced as well. Just as in a real world we get obstacles every day on our way.
I will be playing with light, shadow, phonogram photography, film, moving image and sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment